Friday, March 13, 2009

The Top 10 Best Virtual Worlds to Live In



My daily browse through digg.com allowed me to stumble upon yet another interesting article that discusses a particular gamer's top 10 best virtual worlds to live in. Some of the MMO's mentioned in this article include, Katamari, World of Warcraft (WOW), and Little Big Planet.

Reading this article was not only entertaining, but allowed me to also reflect on which 10 virtual world's I'd live in. Some of the reasons the author chose the specific virtual world they listed was due to the demographics, geographical map, how fun the game was, how the avatars look, and what you can do in that virtual world opposed to the real world and opposed to other virtual worlds. As a gamer, my mind wanders, I get caught up in the virtual world and cyberspace, immersing myself in the culture that I sometimes blend the lines between the virtual world and reality. I would love to live in some virtual world's, I'll list my top 10, and tell me what you think and feel free to list yours as well. By the way, my top 10 is not exclusive to MMO's or MMORPG's.
Kimmiko's Top 10 Best Virtual Worlds to Live In
1) Perfect World (PW or W2) - is an MMORPG developed by Beijing Perfect World.
2) World of Warcraft (WOW) - Multiplayer online roleplaying game created by Blizzard Entertainment in 2001.
3) Second Life - Internet virtual world started in 1999 and run by Linden Labs.
4) Final Fantasy XI (Final Fantasy Online)- a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) developed and published by Square (later Square Enix) as part of the Final Fantasy series.
5) The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar (LOTRO or LotRO)- a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) for Microsoft Windows set in a fantasy universe based upon J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth writings.
6) Guild Wars - an episodic series of multiplayer online role-playing games developed by ArenaNet and published by NCsoft.
7) Lineage I and Lineage II - a medieval fantasy massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) released in 1998 by the South Korean computer game developer NCsoft and a fantasy massive multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) for the PC, and a prequel set 150 years before Lineage.
8) Ragnarok Online (RO) - a massively multiplayer online role-playing game or MMORPG created by GRAVITY Co., Ltd. based on the manhwa Ragnarok by Lee Myung-jin
9) Xenogears, Xenosage I, II, III - a console role-playing game (RPG) developed and published by Square (now Square Enix) for Sony's PlayStation I, II, and III.
10) Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II - an action role-playing game developed and published by Square Co. (now Square Enix) for the PlayStation 2 video game console.
what do you think? what's your top 10?

No comments: