Friday, March 13, 2009

Technology is actually helping!

In this article, people with such as amputees, the autistic, the overweight, etc. can use games to help alleviate the pains of their disabilities. I had seen it coming, as Im sure many have, with games like DDR. I posted this article because of the clip from "Contact" we saw today. About whether or not technology has actually made humanity happier. I really doubted that it has. Most technology is for the military and war. However, if an amputee were to be able to operate a prosthetic arm better with technology, I don't see how that would not make humanity better. This article gave me some hope.

However, there are still personal doubts. I am not one to judge, but I feel if people want to overcome their overweightness, actual excercise rather than video games should be more ideal. However, I also overlook the fact that many may have reasons not to go outside and exercise. All in all, technology is evil and technology is good.

1 comment:

Alex! said...

I feel like the question, "does technology make life better" is a incredibly vague statement. Prinston press defines technology as a practical application of science to commerce or industry. So the very idea that technology is "impractical" contradicts its very concept. Computers have brought more information faster ever than before, medicine has increased the general quality of life and by creating virtual exercise we take a great advancement towards beating the nationwide obesity epidemic. I feel that games like Wii Sports are a step in the right direction. By appealing to the gaming market and making exercising entertaining it has gotten the stereotypically lazy gamming community off the couch. I do not feel like gaming is the ultimate solution but as with everything it’s all about balance and moderation.

-Alex-