Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Online Dating

So my group is working on online dating and I am in charge of the age group 60+. It is interesting to find many people that are 60 and older using online dating websites. I would have to say that I was a bit mortified by the fact that these people are my grandparents age but then realized that they are only people trying to avoid loneliness and I think thats fair. Where are seniors supposed to find companionship besides the local bingo hall? It is way passed their time to hang out at local bars and clubs. Society just doesnt accept that and it is no longer part of their lifestyle. So where does that leave them to mingle? The answer: The internet. The internet is just a huge door of opportunity for virtually everything. Seniors can put exactly what they are looking for on there profiles on online dating websites and who ever responds is a possible match. It must be hard to be a senior and alone either through divorce or being a widow. They had that family life at one time but then could all be lost. Online dating websites are a possible place to avoid that. I found that there werent too many men and women in the ages of 75 and older. I think this is because: they are not technologically savvy, or there arent as many of them as say people in their younger years.  Internet was just coming out in their day so many never got familiar with it. Many seniors are adapting to society and learning new technology.
I think its funny that my grandma is trying to get technological updated. She just got a new computer with the internet, a new flat screen tv, blu ray player and digital photo frame. She is in her 70s. 
I think online dating is a great resource for people that cant find companionship in their ordinary ways of life.

1 comment:

Vivek Malik said...

Check out dating website focused on long term compatibility hintcafe.com