Friday, March 13, 2009

article


I have never been one to enjoy video games. Ever since I was a little kid I could never handle more then an hour of video games. Playing a lot of sports in high school I surrounded myself with friends who never really had time for them either. However coming to college completely changed this. I now have friends who have a gpa that can almost double mine and they have time to play 6 hours of call of duty a day. Although I do agree with the article regarding that males seem to get more pleasure out of playing video games I find it hard to believe that the pleasure center of the game can release enough chemicals to encourage a 6 hour binge of killing nazis and japs. Maybe it has to do with something else that I just cant comprehend or my brain doesn't have the capability to. It's also interesting to note how although video games are predominately male it seems as though it is becoming more socially acceptable for females to take part of the craze. As much as I would hope that video games would cease to exist on this planet it looks as if they are here to stay and are only going to evolve with the times. 

1 comment:

Alex! said...

Being an avid gamer for most of my life (except when my parents regulated it) and an athlete myself I can easily relate to both sides of your post. I feel that it is simply a matter of priorities and the environment around you. My freshmen year of high school I had a club soccer team and the high school football team taking up much of my time. I obviously had very little time for virtual entertainment. However, college came along, the days spent going from football after school to soccer practice were long gone, I found myself with a great deal of free time. This free time coupled with the uncertainty of being away from home and friends encouraged me to seek shelter in an old friend. The internet soon became my escape and stress relief where sports had once been. Not only this but it was my predominate mode of socialization. Six hours spent with “friends” is not unheard of. So that’s my defense and I’m sticking to it!

-Alex-