Sunday, March 8, 2009

My Freewrite on WoW

I find it fascinating how online/virtual cultures have been created. World of Warcraft, for example, is most certainly its own world, full of spaces, vegetation, races, living creatures, food and liquid for sustenance, conflicts, and communication. The only difference, pragmatically speaking, between WoW and the physical/actual world is the monthly membership cost. Aside from that, WoW is a legitimate community and culture. Ever since I have begun taking Anthro 128C, I have opened my eyes to the virtual realms that, I now see, are real and somewhat tangible, but tangible no less. In WoW, people of different races, classes, and hybrids of race and class, as well as different skillsets, form guilds together that utilize the diverse array of skillsets in WoW to raid a giant enemy creature. Some slay, some curse, others heal, and they may even take turns using the different abilities. The point is, those people, miles apart in the physical world, share an intimate space within the virtual world of Warcraft and form bonds and achievements as one unit. Physical space and intimacy are no longer required to stay together. The non-physical world is existent and real.

--

This is my first post on the blog for the year, and I decided to post a freewriting exercise I did to ease my writer's block that has paralyzed me from posting on the blog. I have only played WoW for a sum of 25 minutes, so this post may not be accurate of the world. However, I wanted to share my freewrite as proof of my growth from the class and my growth as a writer. Thanks for reading!

-Geraldo

No comments: