Monday, February 2, 2009

Research Paper topic: Social networking sites and Teens

I was sitting around this past weekend thinking about how I should really choose a solid topic soon for the research project for this class. Last Thursday, when we had the opportunity to meet and talk with our classmates, I found a few people that had similar ideas and I was getting good responses. I thought I would share the idea with the rest of the class since I only had the chance to share mine with a few people.

I'm going to be honest - I'm not into gaming at all, but I do use social networking sites, like Facebook. They are really great tools to keep in touch with friends and family and to share things like pictures. But something that has always blown my mind is the pre-teens / teens using sites like Myspace acting like they are "hot stuff." I always think, "Oh gosh...WHY?!" (If you have seen the kind of things they write, the information they share and the pictures they post, you will be shocked - I promise. ) I thought it might be interesting to do research on this. The big question would be: Why do teens (and kids, ranging anywhere from 10-18) use sites like Myspace?? What are their objectives?

I did a bit of online research and found a few articles that could potentially work as sources for this topic.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11064451/
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/05/myspace.teens/


I'm not really set with this, but I think it would be interesting to do something along this line. (Social networking sites and teens) If any of you are interested, let me know and we can definitely discuss!


-Miko

5 comments:

free ciity said...

sounds good! I would love to chat about this! jstacy@uci.edu

M.Flo said...

I was thinking about this too! There are two other people who I talked to that are interested as well. We were thinking about teens and parents, so both ends of the spectrum. We should all form a group though, then narrow down the topic. Let me know if you're interested: melissaf@uci.edu

UCIrvine Student said...

I second free ciity. I'm also interested to do a research paper that were along the lines of a social networking site. Please let me know if there's still room in your group.
escruz@uci.edu
Thanks!

Donna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna said...

I would love to help. Have you formed a group already? If not, dvuu@uci.edu.