Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Happy Birthday Facebook!

So Mark Zuckerburg's social network baby, Facebook turns five years old today.It's pretty interesting to read about how this now booming online social network was created by a 19 year old Harvard student in his dorm room. In an article I found on CNN.com, it quotes Zuckerburg from his Facebook blog, "The culture of the Internet has also changed pretty dramatically over the past five years. Before, most people wouldn't consider sharing their real identities online. But Facebook has offered a safe and trusted environment for people to interact online, which has made millions of people comfortable expressing more about themselves."

I thought about it, how the internet has changed throughout the five years- and since I'm a graduating 4th year, it led me to think about how I've used Facebook during my undergrad experience. And I can't imagine college without Facebook- it has become so much part of my college experience- it holds messages from my best college friends, it is the archive of all my photos from my spring breaks and travels abroad. I could look back at my wall and inbox and read messages from my SPOP experience, or my first roommate. Facebook has become an onlive archive of my college experience.

So, Happy Birthday, Facebook. Here's to many more years of tagging, updates, and wall posts.

1 comment:

TSF said...

I was talking about this in section today! At the end of last year, Facebook surpassed MySpace in number of user accounts (110 million to 83 million worldwide). However, Facebook is not extremely successful economically. Unlike MySpace, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation, Facebook is still "independent," so to speak.
You make a great point here about how Facebook is more than just a mode of communication, or a means of maintaining one's social network, but is also becoming a digital archive of memory for a significant number of people (and therefore, an archive of knowledge). This is something that hasn't been written about much yet, as far as I know. Great post!