Wednesday, February 4, 2009

To be Friends, or not to be Friends?

Ever since we began this class, I've gotten into the habit of reading the "Technology" section on CNN more. And I came across this very pertinent article. I'm sure many of us work on campus, alongside supervisors that are around our age that have a Facebook account themselves. But I've realized, as your "friend" on Facebook, they can't have the same priveleges as all your other friends. Though it's easier to keep in touch via Facebook, your pictures (breaking some company policies, etc) aren't exactly painting you in a positive situation. Sure, not all supervisors are the same - some might not care, but the simple fact is, "friending" your boss may make it difficult for you to remain professional if they have full access to your profile.

As part of the housing community, I've realized that I've had to be really careful about what comments people make on my wall, or what pictures my friends post up, in order to maintain a professional relationship with my supervisor, and to maintain my position and a role model as a staff member to freshmen. In such situation, it really makes you wonder if Facebook is a curse (with how much information your boss can find out about you)..... because friending your coworkers is definitely different than friending your boss. Sure, the idea of friending your boss may seem appealing if you're on good terms with your boss, but there's always the private/limited profile for those select few ;)

This article truly made me think about how cautious one has to be with such social networking sites, what one means as a joke, another will take offense to, and your idea of fun may not always be seen as appropriate to those around you. So maybe separate Facebook accounts IS the solution. Or is getting back to old relationships the solution? We'll see!

No comments: