Saturday, February 7, 2009

Research Project

Hi all!

At the end of Thursday's lecture, it was suggested that we share/post what each group project was focusing on, so I thought I would share what our group (AEMEA; our initials of our first names) was interested in researching.

Our group would like to research the social network site known as Facebook and compare and analyze relationships and the ways of communication as seen in both the virtual world and in the real world. Each group member is interested in different aspects and topics and range from intimate relationships, familial relationships, and relationships between an employee and supervisor. I personally hope to observe how relationships form, are defined online and in the real world and explain the different types of interaction that occur between both.

On the topic of Facebook, I particularly found this article interesting as it discussed the topic of "defriending" someone on Facebook. While reading the article, I recalled how often I would hear from my own friends of how we were never "officially" friends until I added them on facebook. Though said in a jokingly manner, it made me think how Facebook at times defines who we are friends with and the topic of defriending began to intrigue me. Is there proper etiquette to defriending someone? In the real world, do we send emails to people who we have had an unfortunate falling out with to notify them that we are not friends anymore? It is amazing how relationships are defined in differing ways in the virtual world and the real world.

Well, I hope you found this blog somewhat interesting as it was my first one. See you all in class!

-91749727

No comments: