Wednesday, February 4, 2009

25 random things....

So to all the facebook users out there....how many of you have done the note entitled "25 random things" i have also seen it listed as 16 20 or 15... but i am sure the numbers change around constantly. I was browsing around on yahoo and I found this article about this chain letter. The article basically says that there are those that see the article as a way to become even closer to their friends by going beyond "superficial way to know other people" the article further states "Doing things like this 25 Things note allows us to go a little bit deeper, because we do search for a deeper relationship interpersonally."

The article goes further to say that not everyone feels the need to fill out this letter in fact many groups have sprouted up to protest this letter.

From personal experience (as i have filled out at least 3 of these) I think its fun to share random things with people. Of course, I do put some type of thought into what I put... alot of mine were memories of stupid things that I did when i was younger. Ocassionally when i feel braver I would release one of my bad habits or a pet peeve. hahah often times I amuse myself with these. I agree that these random things help us to understand differences and similarities between me and my friends but I also understand the other side... after filling out 3 I don't really feel the need to do another one... now... back when chain letters were popular via email I didnt really do that... (I have probably been cursed many times or have had countless wishes pass me by because of my lack of correspondence to the chain letters)...but now that these chain letters...rather, chain notes have started to circulate, I really hope that it doesnt blow up to become "spam." I just can't quite figure out why I feel obligated to fill it out? Perhaps, because it makes me believe that my friend has opened up and i feel the need to be on equal standing...


Sometimes I find these notes rather enlightening... as I am digging into my brain for random facts...I recall certain things that make me smile and some things that I just can't help laughing about...

Any thoughts or theories as to why this note is so popular? Are these notes asking for too much information?


So now that you have read my post... you need to make a note write 25 Random things on it and tag 25 people... just kidding!

-poond

2 comments:

TSF said...

Haha! I know exactly what you're talking about. I have gotten two of these "tags" in the last couple of weeks. I tried to write one, but couldn't think of 25 things about me that I want to share with my friends. Interesting note about it being a way of making the network more intimate. Is this a case of hacking the system?

kat said...

found this: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1877187,00.html

and thought of your post :)