Sunday, February 15, 2009

Response to "Digital Ethnography"

This blog post is in response to Brian Tan's "Digital Ethnography" post, particularly the video titled A Vision of Students Today.

Here is the original link to the Digital Ethnography web site.

---

I multitask, and I know I'm not the only one. The virtual world imposes demands on us (WoW, blogs, e-mail, Facebook, etc.) that detract more of our time the more we become entrenched in it. At the same time, however, I can't simply leave the virtual world because my e-mail and Facebook demands are tied to the actual world. If I don't message a friend via Facebook on a class project, I procrastinate for the both of us. If I don't send a memo to my supervisor via e-mail, I am not being attentive or efficient. The actual and virtual worlds have become so demanding on their own terms as well as interdependent on each other that I almost need to have my laptop at all times so I don't fall behind on my tasks. I can survive without technology if I'm stranded in the wilderness, but I depend on it in college so much. Other people depend on my to utilize technology too.

The Internet is a vast sea of information that can supplement or replace the physical classroom. Is it bad that I am using the Internet for "distracting myself from my studies"? Well, no, I'd go nuts if all I did was study (I'm sure you would too). Then again, I use the Internet so much that I'm afraid I'm losing touch with the physical world sometimes. This may sound ugly, but I feel as if I surrender myself to the Internet. But this does sound too victimizing, and it throws a red alert b/c the Internet takes over me more than I take over it. If I acknowledge this, I will better understand that I have control over my computer and the Internet, and I will have more willpower to turn off the computer and get in touch with my physical self.

---

Sorry if I bugged anyone with my excessive use of "I", but I can only speak on behalf of myself. If I spoke a bit on behalf of you, great!

No comments: