Saturday, January 31, 2009

The status updater


I was just curious if anyone else in constantly, quietly, updating their facebook status every 15mins in their head- ok maybe only on some days

I find this particularly annoying- for myself- but cant really seem to escape it. I even tried staying away from facebook for a few weeks- but to no avail. I find myself updating myself every time I walk to class, think a funny thought, or see a pretty flower.

freecity is contemplating...
freecity enjoys the flowers
freecity is wondering if this will ever stop

And although I find this annoying, its also interesting. Why is it that I actually want people to know what I'm doing or thinking? In class we've talked about other people wanting to know these things, but not really about wanting others to know about ourselves.

I found status updating so intriguing that I actually started a Twitter account. Twitter is a site that acts primarily as a status updating site- like on Fb. Different from a blog, Twitter allows only for a short 1-2 sentence update, and a Friends page- that lists all your friends' updates

On this site I felt like I could update as much as my heart desired, and not have to worry about being called a facebook addict. The problem was, I didn't have any friends on Twitter. I spent about 2 weeks without any friends- occasionally trying to locate some of my fb gang. After 2 weeks of not being active, someone "followed me", which is about the equivalent of "friending" on facebook.

To my luck it was just a band. This brought back bad myspace memories- but at least it got me back on the site. After browsing the site I manged to figure out how to upload my address book to my gmail account, and then search for friends through there.

Unfortunately for me, I only had 3 connected friends, and one was an ex boyfriend. After deciding it might not be good to follow him, I was down to 2.

I looked through my friend's friends, and found who they were following. After about 10 mins I was up to about 10 people- and I was in business.

So how many people need to be watching in order for you to feel a status update is worthwhile? 10? 20? Would I be twittering if I only had 2 friends? Even now I don't really twitter as much as I facebook update. But if this because having others know out status makes the whole experience worth it?

1 comment:

jeffreyharmon said...

I only need a couple of friends that I know will laugh at my update for me to keep them coming.

I have been cheating lately with my status updates. My brothers and I created a facebook app that anyone can submit their funniest status to for compitition. Every couple of days a King is picked and we send them a t-shirt with their status on it. The app is called Status King and it is really taking off.

I have been stealing them from Status King. Everyday there are fresh hilarious facebook statuses that I can gather my inspiration from.