Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pope now has a youtube channel

So, I was browsing through the news just a few hours ago and I came across this interesting article, this article talks about how the pope recently approved the making of an official Vatican youtube channel. The article says that the reasoning behind this would be to broaden the audience. however the article also states that "Benedict praised as a "gift to humanity" the benefits of social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace in forging friendships and understanding." (Associated Press 2009). It later says that he also warned against "virtual socializing" stating that it would prevent people from interacting in the physical world. What suprised me even more was the fact that the vatican already uses text messaging to send out the prayer of the day. The article also mentions that this channel follows channels that were recently made by President Obama and Queen Elizabeth.

I guess what made it especially suprising for me was the fact that the pope was embracing the internet. I come from a family where for the most part my grandparents have never touched a computer in their life. So to hear that the pope, one of the oldest religious symbols that I know, is joining us in the 21st century. haha, hmm I think that the approach is interesting and I understand that he is trying to expand his audience. But I wonder if by taking advantage of the internet that the vatican will soon be swept up...In other words....Does the Vatican know what it's getting itself into? The vitual world lacks any formal set of rules, the 10 commandments do not hold, nor does any state have command over the internet. The article mentions that a few of the arch bishops already have facebook profiles. But with all the things that happen online... Do we really want the church to be there? Watching over people. Website, facebook, youtube.....I think its rather frightening that both the church and state (refering to the Obama and Queen Elizabeth's channels) are creeping into the internet.

hmmm...when I imagine the virtual world I think of world of chaos....everyone pretty much gets to do what they want, however they want it. they get to say anything about anyone... and other than argue back there isn't anything that that person can do about it. Crime, Adultery...all of this exists in the vitual world. Part of the appeal of the virtual world is the freedom of it... a person can marry whomever they want, present themselves however they want...in fact, there are many people who present themselves differently online in comparison to who they are in the physical world.An example is how in second life or even in facebook a person can be engaged with or have a relationship with anyone they please, I have many friends that say they are married to their best friends (of the same sex) eventhough both persons are in seperate relationships in the physical world.

now that the church and state are joining us in this chaotic world....I feel that they will attempt to use their influence in the physical world and bring it into the virtual one and though the idea may be farfetched if both church and state achieve influence over online users will this lead to a online war between the church and the state and will those living online get caught inbetween? hmmm...this is starting to sound very familiar.... Land of the free, church, state...war... haha will will the virtual world become the new frontier?

I know we arent supposed to post long annoying theories...hahaha but I just had to share it...

-David P.

1 comment:

calvin cheung said...

In response to your "theory" of having the church be involved in the internet and watching over us from there, I don't think it would change much things except for the fact that the audience as you stated would be bigger and more broad. However for those like me who are not religious, we can also tune out religious articles. For example, the article you posted about the Vatican's own youtube channel would definitely catch my interest, and I did read the article. However, that is all I did. Just read it. I clicked on the youtube link, and found nothing of my relevant interest. I am not trying to be offensive to any believers or those more religiously devout, please do not think of it that way. I am just saying that even though the audience is more broad, the user of the internet can still choose to view the content or not. Similar to real life, if a person passes out a flier for a party or event, you can look at it and discard it if you are not interested.

You also brought up another good point though about how there is no real set of rules that govern the internet. It would be interesting to see the youtube comments that people may eventually write. I would imagine that the people who run the Vatican channel would have to be extremely tolerant or else they would be worked up over the amount of possible people who talk trash or "flamers" as people sometimes call them.