Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Another Idea...

Thursday's activity of "speed dating" was a great activity and I got to know so many of my fellow classmates in less than 2 minutes! Everyone had really interesting ideas and seemed excited, something you rarely encounter in a class. So I am posting an idea that me and one other classmate have talked about together and we are looking for anyway who might interested. Being the case that my classmate and I are both artists in a very modern day era, we find that artists these days are turning to website providers such as flicker (mostly photography), devianart.com, the market place, artfair365, and many artists such as myself have created their own website for post artwork on a myspace/facebook profile.
We are interested in looking at why artists are turning more to online marketing and selling rather than approaching the physical institutions of galleries, art dealers, and even local coffee shops to show their artwork. What makes or breaks an artist today? If an artist can create a profile/account on a website catering to their interest and has built an online art community, simply click to upload jpegs of their artwork, why bother with the physical world of selling art? These are some of the interesting things we want to look at besides the main use of these website "art world" providers and what social links they have made for an artist, or if they have distanced the artist.
My peer and I are very open though to many more suggestions and other factors to bring into the research and look at. So if anyone is interested in something a little different than studying facebook or myspace or doesn't know too much about second life, or has some artistic background/knowledge, feel free to email me or my peer at:
madelineandfun@gmail.com
kpham@uci.edu

No comments: