Saturday, January 24, 2009

For the "lolz"

I remember logging onto the internet at the age of twelve. At the time, I was completely computer illiterate, yet I managed to find my way to a video gaming forum where I could talk about RPGs. Even though it has been six years since then, I can still distinctly remember the awe and fascination that captured me when I learned how to post a smiley. Over time, I grew up alongside the internet. Yes, that is a very "nerdy" and "loser-like" think to say, but it is true. For a period of time, I developed this "troll" complex where my friends and I would surf the internet and join in communities and discussions around just to "mess with people."

Long before To Catch a Predator existed, my friends and I made it a hobby to "expose, embarrass" certain types of people. The easiest "prey" were perverts that lingered on chat rooms. So we all made AIM accounts with provocative names like "sexyblonde234" or, my favorite, "urtitsrmine." We then went into chat rooms for single and lonely people who were willing to hit on "underaged" girls. When they inquired, "asl?" We'd often reply, "13/f/ny." Or some variation of that.

If the person behind the other computer catches the bait, we often had a bag of tricks in store for them. One of my friend's favorites was telling two men at the same time he'd (in the minds of the victim, "she'd") call them and give them a "good time." More often than not, the idiots would resign their phone numbers. My friend would then switch the phone numbers from the two victims and have them call each other. Surprise, surprise! I usually preferred saying, "hey i want sum pics." And request to be directly connected to the victim (a function on AIM's messaging system which allows quick and easy transferring of images, large amongst of text, etc.)." If they fell for the trap, I'd be able to find their IP address registered onto my computer and I would often times be able to trace the address to a city or a state. If I was successful, I'd stop typing like a ten year old and say, "Sir, we know where you live, [location]. We are apart of the FIB and we know where you live. You have broken the laws and you have attempted to sexually harass a minor . We will now --" By then, the person in question usually, A. logs off, or B. blocks me.

Moral of the story? Why did we do this? It wasn't because of "justice" or we felt the urge to create a genocide of internet perverts. We did this for the "lulz" or "lols," "laugh out loud(s)." Whatever you want to call it. Yes, we went through the trouble of doing this pranks because we thought it was funny, hilarious, a source of entertainment.

Though this isn't just a story about a immature and bored group of teenagers having fun in their own weird and individual way.

In recent times, there has been controversy over an increasingly popular website called 4Chan (by the way, you might want to reconsidering visiting the site if you have a weak stomach) and it's offspring (7Chan, 420Chan, etc.) ... particularly over "raids," and "harassment issues." (To clarify, raids is basically a mass group of people invading a site, game and etc. to disrupt it (basically grieving or trolling in a massive amount)). A good example would be the Church of Scientologist incident where at least hundreds of 4Chan members throughout the world (primarily Britain and the United States) wore masks from V for Vendetta to protest outside of church.


Source: 4chan - /b/

In an etic perspective, this looks absolutely crazy. V for Vendetta Masks? The Church of Scientologist? Conglomerates of nerds gathering outside of these institutions? What is this madness? This incident has been met with varied opinions. Ranging from praise about the group's vigiliance to disgust about the group's intolerance. Before more is thought or said, from an emic perspective, the vast majority of the people in 4Chan (except for a few, because there is always debate in a "culture!") view of this entire endeavor as a joke, much like how my friends and I went through the trouble of harassing random strangers on the internet. In response to these pranks (which can range from being playful to nasty) victims will often times react vehemently--which provokes people to harass them even more. Unfortunately, not many people understand this concept, as evident from the television report below:



I lol'ed.

- Khuyen Lam

7 comments:

Sarcasmancer said...

Personally, I think Fox's news report was the funniest prank Anonymous ever pulled.

The war on scientology was something else though. I followed it pretty closely, though from an Etic perspective, but the cultural debate was evident even to us outsiders. On the one hand you had the new school Anon's who were trying to be heroes, fighting scientology's information gathering tactics with their anonymity, and on the other you had the old schoolers who just wanted to harass them "for teh lulz."

It raised A LOT of really interesting questions where matters of power are concerned as well. The scientologists have tons of old school power: tons of cash, literally an army of lawyers, and connections with the entertainment industry. Yet all that clout was useless against a group of punk kids and twenty-somethings with computers and V masks. How could they hold Annonymous, a group that has no official members or leaders, accountable for their actions? Their anonymity proved to be the ultimate power.

Of course, its inherent instability also proved to be the downfall of their crusade as well. Once the Anons started arguing amongst themselves about whether they were genuinely protesting or just pranking Scientology, let alone why they were doing it, the whole thing fell apart.

Awesome stuff. You may want to forewarn people about visiting 4chan though. It's known as the asshole of the internet for a reason.

MigratoryEagle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MigratoryEagle said...

Er, whoops. Accidentally removed my own comment when I was trying to edit a typo.

Anyways! Yeah, I did warn people ("by the way, you might want to reconsidering visiting the site if you have a weak stomach"). A more widely understood expression would probably be "NSFW! NSFW!"

Oh yes, I do agree with you on the conflict and debate within the community. I did note it in the post, but probably not as much as I should. Perhaps it was my own bias and perspective playing, mainly because I am from that first wave of people who browsed on 4Chan back when it looked more like 2Chan around 2003 or 2004. Phew, it's been so long I barely remember anymore.

If I do write more things about these imageboards, that's definitely something I should look out for more.

The whole conflict between older members and newer members (lovingly dubbed "new fag") is definitely a conflict that still plagues the community today.

(More information, see here: http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/The_Cancer_That_Is_Killing_/b/ -- but warning, this site may have ads that is definitely NOT safe for work).

TSF said...

This was a widely controversial prank last summer that stemmed from a 4chan raid in Habbo Hotel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQGQYx84iPM. I don't think she got the joke, but after she went public, she incurred the wrath of Anonymous and things got a lot worse!

free ciity said...

"LOL"- haha this was great

Alienman said...

I'm a follower of the protests myself. I think it's the best thing ever. The symbolism. The drama. It could make for a good book one day.

I think, as far as the aggressive bullying tactics goes, in my opinion a community shouldn't be judged on a few radicals within it - which is likely what Fox did. It's not like every anon out there is some dick itching to cyber ass blast people. Just like not every goon is a neckbeard-having nerdy man-child. If I only associated hardcore gamers as all that comprises the community of WoW, then I'd be leaving out all the Chinese gold farmers or fratboys or grandpas out there.

It's like the Breakfast Club all over again.

Tally said...

Hi, I stumbled across your blog while researching for my own blog on cyberculture. If it's ok I'd like to add you to my blogroll? Your blog seems pretty cool :)

I share similar experiences of growing up as the Internet did... my friends and I were never quite as resourceful, but we loved tricking people into believing we were the "blondebabes2000".