Thursday, January 29, 2009

Growing Up Online

During the speed-meeting round on Tuesday, I talked with some people who were interested in researching minors in virtual worlds.  Well, I came across a Frontline report about children and growing up online.  The documentary interviews high schoolers and their parents along with experts.  It gives an overview of what youths do online and the concerns it raises for parents.  Interestingly, educators have the need to teach "proper" netiquette (network + etiquette) in light of the controversy over cyber-bullying.
I hope this is somewhat useful to the cyber-youth research group.

P.S. Is there anyone interested in researching economics online? (e.g. labor, wealth, trade)

3 comments:

MigratoryEagle said...

I admit that I grew up on the internet. As I said earlier in a post I made awhile ago, my parents did not let me go out often. The internet became my playground.

This sounds horribly nerdy, but everything about me (almost) comes from internet interactions - my sense of style, music, etc.

It is a pretty major thing. If anyone is doing research on this and needs someone to interview, I'd be willing to step up to the plate.

free ciity said...

i ve taken a few classes on the subject and may be interested. if you are still looking for people, let me know.

Grace said...

What specific kinds of economics are you interested in looking at? What specific sites?