Thursday, January 22, 2009

Google getting scary?

Personally, I love Google. They're doing a lot of innovative and helpful things for the world. They have bike routes on the maps section as well as public transit routes. They even got this new feature where you can see how many parking spaces are left in certain spots. Currently, that feature is only for heavy public areas or institutions such as a public library. However, at sometimes it does seem like they are taking over the world... getting "too good" at the stuff they are doing. It is a bit reminiscent of the Terminator or Big Brother.

For instance, Google maps started out very simple; it was directions from Point A to Point B. Then they got different terrians (interfaces). Google Traffic shows people heavy to light traffic flow. Public Transit, Bikes, and Walking distances are estimated. There is a creepy street view where I can see my house. I appreciate everything Google is doing and I know it will all be a thing of the past in a couple years. The video though echos my deepest fears, which are more hypothetical then real.

3 comments:

Grace said...

I also found Google maps disturbing when I discovered the live photos last year. The photos are actually old though, I could tell from their posted picture of my house. But it makes you wonder how they obtained those photos. Did they hire people to drive around neighborhoods and take photos of houses and streets from every angle possible? Creepy.

Anonymous Blogger said...

An official Google truck suped up with specialized camera equipment drove down each road.

I myself wonder where the practicality is in this particular feature. It's entertaining to swoop down to eye level from a satellite view, but it doesn't offer anything necessary.

Grace said...

Perhaps this feature is visually useful for people looking up locations they need to get to, helping them "see" their destination before they get there to better recognize it later.

But, in my opinion it remains creepy on so many levels.